Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Pregnancy Tea


I write this blog while sipping my newest purchase, pregnancy tea (which is actually pretty good).  I had my friend Rachel over last week whose roommate is pregnant and apparently has done a lot of research on herbs, etc. for pregnancy.  Rachel was telling me about Raspberry Leaf tea and Nettles, two things that I was very skeptical about, even after she later emailed me an extensive list of benefits.  Taking my skepticism to my midwife appointment this morning I was very encouraged by her support of both these herbs.  My midwife, Angela, recommended drinking two cups of Raspberry Leaf tea starting at 28 weeks and increasing this to 4 cups a day after 36 weeks.  If you check out the benefits listed below you'll see why I think this is worth a shot.  Angela also said that Nettles has plenty of prenatal benefits and that I should start taking it now.  She recommended the aforementioned pregnancy tea that I purchased today at Rebecca's Apothecary in downtown Boulder (side note - this place is really cool.  It almost feels like you are taking a step back into the 1700's).  This pregnancy tea is a blend of Nettle, Raspberry and Oatstraw, and a low enough dose of raspberry that I won't be putting myself into early-labor :)

Another purchase from the apothecary was belly butter.  In the last week or so I have started to notice I have been subconsciously itching my stomach.  I had been thinking about investing in a belly butter, and when I dreamed last night that my enormous boobs had stretch marks all over them, I figured now is a good time to.  This stuff smells delicious and I can't wait to start trying it out.

I doubt I can blame this on crazy pregnancy hormones, but blueberry muffins have started to sound really good the last few days.  This morning when I came across a Real Simple recipe for Whole Grain Blue Berry Muffins I knew I had to make them.  These were a HUGE success and taste even better than they look, if you can believe that!  I recommend you take this recipe and go make yourself some.



Whole-Grain Blueberry Muffins (from Real Simple)


Ingredients
  • 1 1/4 cups whole-wheat flour, spooned and leveled*
  • 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
  • 1/4 cup flaxseed meal (available at natural-food stores)
  • 1/4 cup pecans
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1 cup plain low-fat yogurt
  • 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
  • 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
  • 1 tablespoon grated orange zest, plus 1/4 cup orange juice
  • large egg
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 2 cups fresh blueberries or one 8-ounce bag frozen blueberries

Directions

  1. Heat oven to 375° F. Line a standard 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners. In a food processor, process the flour, oats, flaxseed meal, pecans, baking powder, baking soda, and salt until finely ground.
  2. In a large bowl, whisk together the yogurt, sugar, butter, orange zest and juice, egg, and vanilla. Add the flour mixture and mix just until incorporated (do not overmix). Fold in the blueberries.
  3. Divide the batter evenly among the muffin cups. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 22 to 25 minutes.


Benefits of Raspberry Leaf Tea:
Most of the benefits ascribed to regular use of Raspberry tea through pregnancy are traced to the nourishing source of vitamins and minerals found in this plant and to the strengthening power of fragrine - an alkaloid which gives tone to the muscles of the pelvic region, including the uterus itself. Of special note are the rich concentration of vitamin C, the presence of vitamin E and the easily assimilated calcium and iron. Raspberry leaves also contain vitamins A and B complex and many minerals, including phosphorous and potassium.

The benefits of drinking a raspberry leaf brew before and throughout pregnancy include:

~ Preventing miscarriage and hemorrhage. Raspberry leaf tones the uterus and helps prevent miscarriage and postpartum hemorrhage from a relaxed or atonic uterus.
~ Easing of morning sickness. Many attest to raspberry leaves' gentle relief of nausea and stomach distress throughout pregnancy.
~ Reducing pain during labor and after birth. By toning the muscles used during labor and delivery, Raspberry leaf eliminates many of the reasons for a painful delivery and prolonged recovery. It does not, however, counter the pain of pelvic dilation.
~ Assisting in the production of plentiful breast milk. The high mineral content of Raspberry leaf assist in milk production, but its astringency may counter that for some women.
~ Providing a safe and speedy pariuntion. Raspberry leaf works to encourage the uterus to let go and function without tension. It does not strengthen contractions, but does allow the contracting uterus to work more effectively and so may make the birth easier and faster.

Benefits of Nettles:

Vitamins A, C, D and K, calcium, potassium, phosphorous, iron and sulphur are particularly abundant in nettles. 
The benefits of drinking nettle infusion before and throughout pregnancy include:


~ Nourishing mother and fetus.
~ Easing leg cramps and other spasms.
~ Diminishing pain during and after birth. The high calcium content, which is readily assimilated, helps diminish muscle pains in the uterus, in the legs and elsewhere.
~ Preventing hemorrhage after birth. Nettle is a superb source of vitamin K, and increases available hemoglobin, both of which decrease the likelihood of postpartum hemorrhage. Fresh Nettle Juice, in teaspoon doses, slows postpartum bleeding.
~ Reducing hemorrhoids. Nettle's mild astringency and general nourishing action tightens and strengthens blood vessels, helps maintain arterial elasticity and improves venous resilience.
~ Increasing the richness and amount of breast milk.

No comments:

Post a Comment