Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Hearing the Heartbeat!

Letter from Laura this morning!

Today was my first doctors appointment!  I have decided to go with the Boulder Nurse-Midwives and could not be more pleased.  From women I know and trust who have gone through them as well as everything I have read, I definitely believe midwives are the path for me.  The amazing thing about the BNW is that they are across the street from the hospital, are closely connected and you deliver in the hospital.  I really don't like going to the doctors and prefer to stay out of their offices as much as possible.  I love that the BNW office is not at the hospital, but they are there when and if you need them.

Ok so now back to the first appointment that Judd joined me at.  This morning we met Kala who is extremely nice and sat with us and asked questions/ answered ours for about 45 minutes.  Since I am only a few days into nine weeks so expressed some concern that we may not hear the babies heartbeat (typically 9 weeks is the earliest you can).  After about five minutes of trying so found it!!!!  We got to hear the quick beating of peanut for about 20 seconds and it was incredible.  So crazy!  Up until this morning I have been a little scared that today they would not find anything and tell me that I am not pregnant (haha).  After hearing the heartbeat though, I realize that this is definitely real.

There was no ultrasound at this appointment, but we scheduled one "for dating" (although its really because I want to see peanut :)  in two weeks.  This way we will have a picture to take down to Southern California with us when we tell my family at Easter!

Oh yes, I cannot forget that I had blood drawn. Yuck. I seriously hate needles so much.  I tried to be brave, and actually was not as nervous as normal because I was so excited after hearing the heartbeat, but nonetheless it was not pleasant.  I did have the most amazing nurse, however, so for getting blood drawn, this was a pretty good experience.  The nurse kept me nice and distracted as she drew enough blood to fill 5 vials.  I had no idea until she was done and I looked down at the table, ha.  She said I was starting to turn a little white in the process.  Oh well, at least that part is over.  I think I will have to do this one more time, not to mention other, much more painful things to come....  Until then, so excited to hear your sweet, cute little heartbeat peanut!!

No comments:

Post a Comment